Summer time gives us a lot of reasons to celebrate.
Like, fresh cherries!
Recently I came home from our farmers market with 4 cups of cherries and a calling to make cherry pie!
This is a super easy (#ofcourse) recipe for anyone craving some pie or wanting to take a pie to a friend/family potluck.
The Bottom-Layer Crust
You know I’m 111% committed to simplicity when it comes to cooking/baking and that’s why after trying a million different GF and paleo pie crusts I landed on this one – one that’s already pre-made.
I love this pie crust!
It does have 1 gram of organic sugar so if you’re super super sensitive (note: I’m super-super sensitive and I can do 2 pieces of pie and not feel negative sugar impact), this may not be the pie crust for you, but if you can handle the 1 gram, buy up a bunch of these and put them in your freezer.
Get your Wholly Wholesome GF crust here.
Cherry pie filling is actually really fun to make. I suggest putting on your favorite podcast (might I suggest this one ;)) while you pit your cherries.
- 4 cups of fresh organic cherries – this will make 2 pies for the Wholly Wholesome GF crust. You may wish to just do 2.5 cups for one pie – your choice!
- 4T arrowroot flour (or 2T for 1 pie)
- 1/2 cup Wholesome Zero sweetener (1/4 cup for 1 pie)
- 1 organic lemon (1/2 lemon for 1 pie)
- 2 t organic almond or vanilla or both – your choice! – extract (1t total if you’re making 1 pie)
Pitting cherries is a whole thing. I don’t have a cherry pitter and searching online to find a variety of snazzy ways to pit cherries – one even included a paper clip. However, I found it easiest to just use my fingers and as I got going, I knew right where to go to pull out the pit easy-breezy. As always, follow the path of least resistance here and do what works best for you.
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix pitted cherries, arrowroot, sweetener, juice of 1 lemon and the almond/vanilla extract together for your cherry crumble pie filling.
We’re bringing back the goodness of our cobbler topping here!
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 1 cup of gluten-free, quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup of Wholesome Zero sweetener (for optimal results, please use this sweetener – I’ve tried this recipe with all different kinds of sweetener and this is the one that gives the cobbler a sweet/crispy taste that is cobbler perfection!)
- 1t of Himalayan pink sea salt
- 1/2 cup of coconut butter or organic butter or vegan butter, slightly softened, but not melted
Mix the flour, oats, sweetener and salt in a small bowl. Next, cut in butter – I do it the old-fashioned way with a fork and knife, but you could be way more legit and use a pastry cutter.
Putting it all together
Pour the cherry filling mixture into the Wholly Wholesome pie crust. Then pour the crumble topping over the top, using your fingers or a spatula to spread evenly over the entire pie.
Then, bake at 350 for 1.5 hours or until the crumble topping and crust are golden brown.
Bless this gorgeous pie and serve with naked Coconut Bliss on top! Xo
You can read our disclaimer and more here.